Sunday 2 December 2012

Cleaning and license bracket

I might as well get to the engine.  I don't have much to do on it really.  I just have to get it looking good.  it's a little grimy so it needs some cleaning.


I took the stator cover off, it had quite a bit of corrosion so I'll give it a sanding and refinish it.


Next I removed some of the piping and water pump cover,  Mr. Double J is probably cringing at this but I promise this is as far as I go, OK maybe the valve covers but no farther. 



Yummy, now I gave a craving for lime Jello.  The stuff is in all the small passages so I'll have to figure out how to clean those. 

This is what I took off, not much really, just enough to get at the dirt.


Now lets clean this sucker up. This is the before.


Add a little of pre-tune and let it sit a little.  Once the pre-tune has time to work it's just a mater of wiping the grime off.   It comes easily, that's a pretty engine.   Wipe and wipe, I love this engine, it's so cool, hey I wonder where my Pink Floyd CDs are, that would be so dope right now, what was I doing...

Remember that when using harsh chemicals to ventilate the room well.   A little time outside in the freezing rain and fresh air sets me right again.   I open windows at both end fo the house to get a nice breeze going.

 I used needle nose pliers with a shop towel on the end to get at the nooks and with a little time I'm left with a nice clean engine.


Now for the plate bracket.  After last times fiasco I just wanted to deal with one of the mounting points at one time.  I have some flat bat that I hope will give me some sort of a solid backbone for the bracket.  I cut a notch in it so that it takes the washer that will fit on the axle snugly. 



Next I weld that sucker in.



Jeez, that's not bad.  It actually looks like a weld and not like bubble gum.  I'll clean that up a little later.

Here's a look at where it will sit, the idea is to have the plate floating behind the rear wheel.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments welcome, do not be shy and say what you want...I think I can take it.