Sunday 24 February 2013

Re assembly

In the vain effort to get organized I've upgraded my work area.  I've added a new tool kart so that I can keep my tools and my parts, well, apart.   I also got a new work table for the basement, this will un-clutter my little work table.






Yes, that's a welding blanket.  I like sparks but they don't go well with bare Styrofoam insulation. 

I've scraped all the silicone off of the water pump cover.  I'll replace that with the proper gasket.  Amazing how much stuff was in there.



Next I start putting the head set back on.  The grease makes it easier than I thought, it just holds the bearings in place like glue.  Note that the same grease turns a little bearing into a projectile if you squeeze it too hard between your fingers.  Luckily I had a couple spares.




Now I reassemble the thing. 


I have two washers left over and I can't friggin' figure out where they go.  I'll have to look at some diagrams and find out where they go.

Note I've also reinstalled the engine mount.

I take a fork tube to the new work bench and start taking it apart.  They tell you to watch for the spring to push that top nut out and I'm a little cautious when I do so.  Nevertheless KABLAMO, the thing shoots off.  Not as violent as I thought but I still am covered in fork oil.  I did have the presence of mind to aim the top nut into the catch bucket.


I take it apart and lay it out clearly on the table.  I remove the old seal and inspect the forks.  They look good.



I want the fork tubes black so I clean, sand, and paint it.


 I need some thread locker before I put it together so I leave it for now.  I hope I remember how it goes back together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments welcome, do not be shy and say what you want...I think I can take it.