Sunday 10 March 2013

It's time to put stuff back on the engine. 

This is my thermostat housing,  a bit of a mess.  I take it apart to clean it but one of the tubes is seized in there.




You can see in the top picture that corrosion has fused this together.  I give it a shot of penetrant and give it time to work.  No luck.  I clean the stuff off with brake clean over my kitchen sink.  Maybe some vice grips.  I give it a good twist and almost pooped myself forcing so hard.  Still no luck.  Maybe some heat.  Get my little torch out and give that a try.  Remember the brake clean?  Well I forgot.  As soon as I get close to the housing with the torch everything catches fire.  HOLY CRAP!   I turn on the faucet and douse the flames.  Jeez buddy, that was stupid.  At least nothing got burnt. 

Wait, what's that smell, aw man.  I've burnt my eyelashes and some of my beard and mustache.   At least I wont have to trim those for a little while.

Next day at work it takes Mr. G and I to get the pieces apart.

I prep the headlamp brackets for paint and give them a nice black coat.


Now I put the water pump back on with the proper gasket. 





Next I take the valve covers off and prep them for paint.  I'll go with a grey for them. 








I don't know why but I really like the looks of the valves.  I wish I could get those in lexan or something.





Now I put the thermostat housing back together and back on the engine. 


 I used all new o ring, I don't want to chase any leaks.


Next the painted valve covers go back on.


In go the forks.



Note I've lowered the front end by an inch or so.

Finally, I had the front wheel balanced but they told me it was too bent to safety.  I'll have to address this somehow.  I have another wheel buried in the snow on the other bike but I don't know what shape it's in.  I could also send this one out to be fixed. 

Anyhow here is what that wheel looks like turning. 


It doesn't seem that bad but I imagine it gets nasty at speeds.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments welcome, do not be shy and say what you want...I think I can take it.