Sunday 24 March 2013

Battery box

I've spent an inordinate amount of time making this battery box.  I'm not sure why.

I realized the ammo can was a bit too long so I had to take some out. 


Whack it with a hammer a couple times and voila.



 Tack weld the sides and she's good.  The metal is so thin I can only tack it, but that's fine.

Next I go to work making the brackets.  A bolt and a couple of nuts make a perfect jig. 


So far this is the only thing I've figured out on my own that wasn't over thought.  Weld it to a plate and I have a bracket.


Cut some slits in the side of the box and tack the sucker in.



You can see I had to reenforce the side of the box otherwise I'd have blown through with the welder.

I the repeat the process for the other two tabs on the other side.

Pop that sucker under the motorcycle and bolt it in.  Fits nicely.  A little black paint and it will be less noticeable.




Sounds simple but it took me a whole weekend, on and off, to make this thing.

I also cleaned some of the gummed gas off the starter.


Plenty of ventilation and no source of ignition and all went well with this too.

Here is the other ammo can, I used it as a test surface for my custom paint job.  Using lace that Mr. G found for me I gave it a go to see what it would look like.



I like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments welcome, do not be shy and say what you want...I think I can take it.